Did You Not Hear?
The Spirit Of The Lord
8. He Makes Our Garments White
The Holy Spirit is the one who cleanses our garments and makes them white. He said, “buy from me white garments to hide your shameful nakedness,” and He also said, “if you have ears hear what the Spirit says.” We are to buy that garment from the Holy Spirit by letting go of the flesh with its thoughts and desires and accepting and embracing the thoughts of the Holy Spirit which is ‘ the word of God.’ We must embrace Jesus, the word of God.
He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. Revelation 19:3
I had this vision a long time ago when I was still behind in my journey to the mountaintop of grace, faith, love and maturity in Christ. We were many students in a hostel all busy with different activities. I was on my bed in the hostel when all of a sudden, a group of men with a leader came to take me away by force.
I immediately knew they were taking me to a place of torture so I began pleading, “ please don’t torture me, please don’t take me away.” The head of the group who had a stern face and was not good looking then said to me, “ Did you not hear that you are supposed to be putting on your white garment?” I shook my head in amazement. “No I did not hear, please I will put on my white garment, don’t torture me.” Then he gave me a very ugly look.
He looked at me from my feet to my head and from my head to my feet with a nasty sneer. Then he said, “look at you, you and your stomach problem.” Then I exclaimed in shock and disbelief, wondering how he knew about my stomach problem, “how did you know I have a stomach problem!” and he replied, “I know, I know, Satan has been dealing with you.” Then he left me and I came out of the vision.
Everyone in that hostel were students of the word of God, who were not putting on their white garments. They were living in disobedience and were facing all sorts of trials until they repent and put on their white garments. The white garment is for purity and the word of God is pure seven times refined. If we judge ourselves and purify ourselves with the word of God, there won’t be any need to pass us through the fire of tests and trials.
The purpose of the fire of tests and trials is purity which means putting on the word of God or the white garment. If we are purified in the word of God, the purpose of purity is achieved in us and the cleansing fire will no longer hurt us but it will baptise us.
I am sure the meaning of this vision is clear but so many truths are embedded in it. They are:
1, We must put on our white garments – the word of a God
2. I opened the door to torture by not putting on my white garment – the word of God
3. We are all students of the word of God
4. God is sovereign over Satan. Even though Satan was dealing with me, God permitted it. The root cause of my torture was spiritual deafness, stubbornness and inability to put on the word of God.
5. When I showed willingness to put on the white garment or the word of God, the tormentors left me.
6. Demons or tormentors believe in God and the word of God. Do not be deceived, it is man that does not believe in God, the word of God and defies the word of God. Man also sometimes partially believes the word of God. Do you believe that there is only one God? Good! The demons also believe—and tremble with fear.James 2:19, And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him (Matthew 18:34 NKJV)
7. God is not satisfied with partial acceptance of His word. All those students of the word of God were believers but partial believers of the word of God. They had not embraced the whole counsel of the word of God. They did not have thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God. Acts 20:27
8. Did you not hear? Where was I supposed to hear this command or announcement of putting on the white garment from? The answer is my Bible. I must read my Bible, pay close attention to the instructions and follow those instructions.
At that time a Jew named Apollos, who had been born in Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent speaker and had a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. Acts 18:24
Ezra was a scholar with a thorough knowledge of the Law which the Lord, the God of Israel, had given to Moses. Because Ezra had the blessing of the Lord his God, the emperor gave him everything he asked for. In the seventh year of the reign of Artaxerxes, Ezra set out from Babylonia for Jerusalem with a group of Israelites which included priests, Levites, Temple musicians, Temple guards, and workers. Ezra 7:6-7
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Psalm 12:6
“I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. (Revelation 3:18 NKJV)
You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. (Revelation 3:4 NKJV)
“He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. (Revelation 3:5 NKJV)
We are supposed to constantly put on our white garments, failure to do that will result in judgement because judgement begins in the house of God. God does not joke with faith, love, cleanness and purity.
It is so vital and imperative to put on our white garments. The Holy Spirit is the only one who can make our garments clean by constantly leading us, reminding us of the word of God and planting His words in our hearts. After cleansing our thoughts and actions, He decorates us with white garments.